It was such a nice feeling a couple of days back, when Prof Manla P B (group admin of Whatsapp Forum STAR LIBRARIANS) posted on the group that his interview (interviewed by Jasleen Vohra) would get broadcast on Doordarshan National on 27th Oct 2016 (Aaj Savere, 7.30 am). I have heard a lot, read a lot about like any other librarian of india about Prof. Mangla. I remember to to have heard his video lectures on Doordarshan / IGNOU earlier. This is indeed another unique occasion to listen to him talking about himself, LIS Delhi University, Status of the profession in general. He was as usual full of energy, enthusiasm and new found zeal. Probably he could one of the very few and countable LIS professionals whose presence could be felt loudly on Facebook, Whatsapp etc. A rare phenomenon indeed. It is indeed surprising that many or most of the LIS professionals of India today who are 50 years + are getting tired to maintain their presence on Social Media like Facebook, Whatsapp etc. It is amzing to note that Prof Mangla actively continues to be present on facebook, Whatsapp etc. We must be thankful to Doordarshan for updating the librarians of India by interviewing Prof Mangla. I hope and wish Doordarshan continues to interview such Librarians of Note and broadcast. Following are the highlights of his today's interview :
- His frequent visit to a Public Library in Punjab. Developed a sort of inclination for LIS.
- 1961 : started his career as a Lecturer in LIS
- Went to Columbia University on a Fellowship.
- Invited by Iran to develop their LIS department in an University
- Prepared and submitted a Report on the Public Library Service in Delhi
- Involved in National Knowledge Commission. and National Mission on Libraries
- Involved in formulating Library and Information Policy for India NAPLIS 1986.
- eX - President - ILA
- ex - Vice President - International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions
- Visited 45 countries and delivered lectures on Library and Information Science.
The way Jasleen Vohra interviewed Prof Mangla was impressive and touching with regard to bringing in relevant topics and issues. She looked all prepared to interview one of the living stalwarts of Indian Library Profession. He ended by saying, "Librarians need to love books and continue to have passion for Reading and Scholarship."
Here is a todays video clip placed here with for your viewing ....... sorry for d poor quality of recording. Reproduced here only for academic n research purposes. Copy right : Doordarshan National.